Westcott was the son of a distinguished clergyman, Brooke Foss Westcott and was educated at Cheltenham College and Peterhouse, Cambridge. Ordained in 1887, his first post was as curate of St Peter’s Church, Bishopwearmouth. Emigrating to India he was a Missionary with the SPG before ascending to the episcopate as Bishop of Chota Nagpore in 1905. He retired to Darjeeling where he died. He was buried in the grounds of St.Paul’s School, Darjeeling.
Dr. Foss Westcott, Bishop of Chotanagpur (Chruch of North India) founded Bishop school in 1921 in Nakmum, Ranchi.
ORIGIN OF SCHOOL
In Ranchi, the then Magistrate verbally allotted the entire plot of land bordered by River Subernrekha in the Namkum/Jorar basti for the establishment of English Medium Schools. In 1921 Sherwood House, a co-educational institution was the first to come up. Run by the Anglican nuns, boys were accommodated only upto Class-IV. In the meantime plans for a separate school for boys and girls were put into execution.
The site along the railway tracks covering 104 acres was selected for the boys school. The main building (single storied), hall, and residence for the headmaster were constructed in a accordance with the plan drawn by Rev. T. Cashmore. Mr. Goswami was given the contract for the construction. Bricks and other raw materials were carted from Ramgarh to Namkum for the constructions.
By 1923 the Girls’ School renamed as Bishop Westcott Girls’ School began in its new building and by 1927 the brother school, Bishop Westcott Boys’ School was also established. A fresh dimension was added to education in Chotanagpur and thus began a new chapter.